homepage logo

Williamson’s Shot Sends MHS Onward

By Staff | Mar 11, 2020

Magnolia's Trevor Williamson sets to knock down a three against St. Marys.


Sports Writer

Magnolia junior Trevor Williamson drills game-winning 3-pointer with 1.1-seconds left in regulation to lift Magnolia to a 62-59 victory over the St Marys Blue Devils March 6 inside a well-packed MHS Gymnasium to advance to the Region I Co-Championship Wednesday evening at 7 pm inside MHS Gymnasium against the Cameron Dragons.

Coming off a 95-60 loss last week to St Marys in the regular season final to these same Blue Devils, the Blue Eagles playing without the services of their season long star Qwailei Turner never lost a step from the opening tip to the final buzzer.

Williamson opened the scoring with an inside bucket for the games opening points, while fellow classmate Gavin Postlewait sank two points off a nice assist by senior Jake Gamble to extend its lead.

The Blue Devils sophomore Grant Barnhart tallied the Devils opening points, swishing one of two free throws, however Williamson knocked down his first of 3-treys to give the home team a 7-1 early lead.

However, the Blue Devils senior sharp-shooter William Steele who lit the flame in their win over the Eagles last week with 30-points and 8-baskets from beyond the arc, knocked down a triple at the 5-minute mark to ignite the huge St Marys crowd.

The Eagles Trenton Scheibelhood followed that up with a rebound put-back, but Steele knotted a deuce to narrow the gap to 3-points. However, Williamson would not to be denied as he went 1-up with a 3-point rainbow that ignited the standing sixth-man student body.

The Devils and Eagles traded baskets and when the dust settled Magnolia held a 16-12 advantage after one quarter of play.

Magnolia senior Jake Gamble took over in the second stanza scoring 11 of the teams 13-points, including 4-4 at the free throw line and a triple to push Magnolia to a 29-21 halftime lead.

The Blue Eagles Levi Cecil opened the second half scoring with a basket from beyond the arc, however the Devils caught fire and out-scored Magnolia 18-16 in the period, that included 5-triples to close the gap a bit at 45-39 with 8-minutes remaining in the game.

Williamson, opened the fourth with 2-free throws, while Postletheibelhoodwait drained a 2-pointer to give the Big Blue a 10-point advantage, and the Devils called a time-out to cool down the Eagles.

Barnhart, then swished one from beyond the arc, but a short time later Gamble sank 1-2 free throws, and would later pick up foul #4 with 5:08 remaining in period four.

The Blue Eagles defensive pressure was at its best, and you could see Blue Eagles diving after every loose balls and milking the clock all the while.

Schelibelhood scored a nice short jumper, but the Devils Ben Long came off the bench and scored 1-2 free throws, but Gamble would score his last points as he fouled out at the 3:20 mark and St Marys called time-out to work ona game plan, with the Eagles captain on the bench the rest of the way.

Barnhart, netted 2-straight from the free throw line, and tickled the twine from the rail-road tracks to start their rally. After two straight one-and-ones misses, St Marys would go 4-4 from the line. With 1:44 remaining in regulation both Scheibelhood and Postlewait exited with five fouls.

The Devils also lost a pair of players on fouls, but still tied the game up at 59-59 with .28.4 left.

The Eagles ran the clock down to the wire Williamson launched his 3-point rainbow that sealed the deal, and the MHS Student body rushing the floor in celebration. After getting the MHS student body back to their seats the referees put 1.1 seconds on the clock, giving the Devils one last chance to send the game into over-time with a basket from bonus bomb territory.

The Eagles tipped the ball on the throw in, and the Devils couldn’t get a shot as the referee’s called the game. They noted that the ball was tipped and the clock was to start on first touch and didn’t even get a chance to send it to OT.

“What a game, said MHS Head Coach Dave Tallman. “Our sixth man (The MHS student body) was a big factor in our win.

“Our defense has played a solid half-court defense all season, but St Marys was solid couldn’t miss last week. Cecil played an inspired game defensively on Steele and what can I say about the way Trevor handled the defensive pressure.

“Gavin and Trenton deserve a lot of credit, we have split their time all season, and we asked them to do more and they did both offensively and defensively.”

“I can’t believe it, I’m a loss for words,” said Trevor Williamson. “My best friend Jake was on the bench and I just had to make that last shot. We win as a team and we lose as a team. And everyone played a role in this win. What a thrill, our student section came to life and we couldn’t have done it without them.”

“This is a community win, as well as a team win” said Jake Gamble. “Our fan base has been great all season, and I’m glad they were here again once more.”

Trevor Williamson paced the Big Blue with 21-points, including 3-bonus bombs, while Jake Gamble followed with 20-points, and Gavin Postlewait 10-points. Trenton Scheibelhood posted 6-points, while Levi Cecil tallied 3-points, and Campbell Toman a deuce.

Grant Barnhart led all-scorers with 24-points, including 5-bonus bombs, while William Steele tallied 17-points, with 3-triples for all the St Marys double-digit scoring.

With the loss, St Marys record dropped them to 18-6 and they will head up to Wheeling Central Wednesday, March 11 for a 7 pm game with the winner moving on to the WVSSAC Class-1A Boys state basketball tournament, next week.

With the win, the Eagles will host the Cameron Dragons Wednesday, March 11 at 7 pm.

Magnolia Rolls over Tyler Consolidated

By Rick Loy

Staff Writer

Magnolia rolled over Tyler Consolidated in a Class A, Region 1, Section 2 semi-final round with a convincing score of 65-31 at MHS Gymnasium Tuesday March 3, in front of a large crowd.

Qwailei Turner got the scoring started for the Blue Eagles as he knocked in the first six points of the game on his way to game high honors of 21 points, seven boards and two blocks. Turner was impressive against the Knights smothering defense getting to the rim and converting easy baskets, which in turn opened up opportunies for his teammates.

The Eagles lead 14-5 after the first quarter and never looked back in route to the victory. Magnolia’s tight man to man defense forced the Knights away from the basket and limited them to shoot from long range. With shots not falling Tyler finished the first half with only 12 points, while giving up 28 going to the locker room.

Jake Gamble followed up Turner in scoring with 15 markers, five rebounds and one block. Rounding out the scoring for the home team was, Trevor Williamson nine, Gavin Postlethwait nine, Trenton Scheilbelhood four, and, Levi Cecil had a 3-pointer. Freshman Campbell Toman and junior Chase Glover each accounted for two.

The Silver Knights under Coach Nutter, ended their season at (6-18). Rucker led the way with 12 points, six rebounds, three steals and two blocks. Sophomore Caleb Strode added eight points, and five rebounds while junior David Throckmorton tossed in five. Noah Swiger and Zack Placer chipped in three each, junior Justin Bowman had two and Gage Huffman ended his senior season with one.

Coach Tallman’s squad improved to (16-7) on season, and the win propelled them into the final of the Region 1, Section 2 championship game against the St. Marys Blue Devils on Friday, March 6, at Magnolia High School gym. The Devils (18-5) beat Ritchie County Rebels 80-55 Tuesday night, March 3, to earn right to play in the final and win or lose both teams will advance to Regional play.

Magnolia Falls In Regular Season Finale



Sports Writer

St Marys-The St Marys Blue Devils jumped out to a 45-21 halftime lead and went on to defeat the Magnolia Blue Eagles, 95-60 in the regular season finale, Feb. 25 inside SMHS Gymnasium.

Despite six St Marys bonus bombs in the first 8-minutes with five coming from SMHS senior sharp-shooter William Steele, the Blue Eagles were only down 21-12 as the quarters ended. The Eagles Qwailei Turner would keep the score within reach as he drilled a pair of baskets from beyond the arch.

Each team scored 6-points to start the 3-minutes of the second period, but the Devils responded with three straight baskets to grab a 33-24 with 3-minutes remaining before the break. St Marys would then close out the half on a 12-3 run, including a Steele long-ball at the buzzer to grab a 45-21 advantage.

In the third period, the Blue Eagles Levi Cecil got hot, scoring a trio of bonus bombs, while Trevor Williamson, Jacob Gamble and Gavin Postlewait each swished a pair on 2-pointers to close the gap to 63-42 with 8-minutes remaining.

Magnolia scored 10 of their 18-fourth quarter points from the free throw line, but seven different Devils scored 32-points in the period. All told, there were four players that scored 3-pointers.