homepage logo

Brown’s 4 TDs Down Wildcats

By Staff | Oct 7, 2015

Photo by Scott McCloskey Paden City’s Hayden Hizer (7) tries to avoid Cameron defender Wyatt Mackey (22) during Friday’s matchup.

CAMERON – Any coach will tell you big plays and short scoring drives can very easily equal success on the football field.

Cameron coach Scott Holt enjoyed that luxury Friday night as his Dragons hit three big plays to cap three three-play scoring drives in the first half to take control against a stunned Paden City team.

Sophomore quarterback Colby Brown threw four touchdown passes, three to junior Michael Starcher, as Cameron built an early lead and never looked back in rolling to a 39-24 victory against the Wildcats at chilly Dragon Field.

“Our offensive coordination (Eric James) and the rest of the staff worked hard to put this game plan together and we felt like there were a few mismatches we could take advantage of,” Holt said. “We really didn’t execute very well our first four games, but hopefully this is a sign of things to come.”

Following a scoreless first quarter the Dragons (2-3) needed one play and nine seconds to break into the scoring column. Three plays after stopping the Wildcats on downs at the 33, Wyatt Mackey took a handoff and busted straight up the middle for a 44-yard scoring run at 11:51. The PAT failed and it was 6-0.

Cameron took advantage of another Paden City turnover on downs with another big play midway through the period. Again, it took three plays with the third being a 75-yard pass-and-run from Brown to Andrew Simms with 6:50 showing. A fake on the PAT turned into a 2-point conversion on a pass from Trey Routt to Trey Scott and a 14-0 reading.

The Dragons’ third touchdown of the quarter followed a dropped snap on a punt and good field position at the Cats 31. The score came on a 21-yard flare pass from Brown to Starcher at the three-minute mark to push the count to 20-0 at the break.

Things got even better for the hosts to begin the second half. After Mackey returned the kickoff to the Paden City 44, Brown once again floated a pass out to the right for Starcher, who made a nice catch and rolled down the sideline for the score to make it 26-0 at 11:34.

Paden City spent a lot of time in Cameron territory in the first half without scoring, but that changed quickly in the second half as it finally dented the scoreboard at 9:17 of the third. The drive consisted mostly of Hayden Hizer running the football, including a 32-yard burst, before he capped it with a 4-yard run.

Hizer then hit Luke Cooper for the 2-point conversion to cut the deficit to 26-8.

But the Dragons answered right back after recovering the onside kick and a 34-yard Brown connection to Routt put the ball at the Paden City 5, where Starcher ran it in. Deven Pettit’s PAT pushed it back out to 33-8.

Cameron had a chance to put things away after recovering a fumble on the kickoff before Deven Price intercepted the ball and returned it to the Dragons 35. The Cats scored on a 1-yard Logan Carroll burst with a littles less than five minutes to play, with the pass for two making it 33-16.

A 32-yard pass early in the fourth resulted in Brown’s fourth touchdown and Starcher’s fourth score, as the lead grew to 39-16.

Carroll scored again with 2:24 to play from 5 yards away with Cooper’s conversion pass from Heasley making it a 39-24 final.

For Paden City coach Brent Croasmun, it mostly came down to missed chances in the first half.

Brown finished with 231 yards passing with Starcher catching five passes for 112 and three scores and Mackey rushing for 86 yards. Hizer finished with a game-high 135 yards on the ground for Paden City.