homepage logo

Hundred Falls in First Game Back

By Staff | Sep 9, 2015

Photo by Bruce Crawford The Hornets’ Andrew King scores Hundred’s first touchdown in more than two years.

Andrew King rushed for 175-yards and scored three rushing touchdowns, while also passing for 100 yards and two scores, but it wasn’t quite enough to get past the River junior varsity tram, 50-25 on Aug. 31 at Flannery Field in Hannibal.

Aiden Taylor got the ball rolling as he scored on a 47-yard touchdown run, and Hunter Dotson ran in the two-point conversion to give the hosts an 8-0 lead.

Drew Wagnild intercepted King and raced 47-yards for a touch down. He then hit Trenton Sprouse for a 25-yard scoring strike. Hunter Dennis ran in the two-point conversion run to give the hosts a quick, 22-0 advantage.

The Hornets Greg Jones intercepted Wagnild and returns the ball into River territory. Few plays later, King bullied his way into the end-zone from five yards out to get Hundred on the board. The Pilot defense held its turf and stopped the two point conversion.

The Pilots returned the favor, when Dennis pushed his way into the end zone from 10-yards out, and Taylor waltz it in for the two-point conversion to give the Pilots a 30-6 lead at the break.

King picked off Wagnild at took it to the house to draw first blood in the second half.

Taylor quickly answered with a seven-yard touch down, but King batted down the conversion attempt.

King returned the ensuing kick to their own 40-yard line. After a couple hard gainers by Justin Pletcher, King hooked up with Jones on a 18-yard pass play that ended the third period.

On a third and long, King scrambles for 20-yards to the Pilots five yard line. The King to Jones worked to perfection in the back of the end-zone to pull the Hornets to within a pair of scores after the King conversion run with 6:35 left in regulation.

Wagnild breaks numerous Hornet tackles to give the hosts great field position. Wagnild, then found a streaking Payton VanCamp on a nice pitch-and-catch for another score. Wagnild ran in the two point conversion.

After a Hundred interception, the Pilots scored their last touch down on a Cody Saksa 12-yard run to give the Pilots a 50-20 advantage with 5:23 showing on a running clock.

King gallops 60-yards and scores the last touch down as time expired.

“The boys all played well. We had a couple boys banged up, but in all we did pretty well in our first game in two years,” said Hundred Head Coach Gregory Hostutler. “Andrew played a whale of a game, as well as Justin in the running game. Our line started to jell in the second half and we are excited about that. We have a lot of learning as we go, but all-in-all we are happy the boys didn’t quit and played to the last whistle.”

Hundred will play North Marion Huskies Sept. 14 in Marion County, at 7 p.m.