homepage logo

Hornets Defeat Wildcats In Back Yard Brawl, 30-12

By Staff | Sep 29, 2010

The Hundred Hornets outscored the Paden City Wildcats 22-0 in the second half to earn their first victory of the year Saturday, Sept. 28, at Cosgray field in Hundred.

The ‘Cats received the opening kick and started at their own 41. A seven-yard Taylor Still run was stalled when Hornet Roger “Bubba” Stalnaker stopped the ‘Cats in the backfield to force a punt. The Hornets took over on their own 11. On the first play from scrimmage for Hundred, Shane Kuhn took the handoff and headed down the Wildcat sidelines for a 89-yard TD scamper. The Hornets signal-caller, Tyrell Watson, ran it in for the two-point conversion for and an 8-0 Hundred lead.

The ‘Cats started their next drive at their own 26. Still rushed for positive yardage during their first two plays and Wildcat quarterback Geoffrey Bidwell found him open for an 11-yard gain to move the chains. Still rushed for five more yards. However, the Hornet defense was up to the task and forced another Wildcat punt.

The Hornets took over at their own 35 and, after a personal foul, the Hornets were in business at midfield. But, the Paden City defense swarmed all over the place, forcing a three and out and took over at their own 34.

Watson introduced himself to Bidwell by way of a sack, but the ‘Cats quickly rebounded with an eight-yard scamper by Still. Jared Stewart rose to the occasion and hauled in a nifty pass down the middle to move the chains once more for the Wildcats.

The Wildcats marched their way to the three-yard line but coughed it up at the one yard line, where Hornet Zack White recovered the ball. Hundred moved the ball to the six yard line. However, after a Hornet penalty and a nice defensive play by the Wildcats, the ball was back to the one yard line. Runs by Hundred’s Stalnaker and White placed the ball at the 13 yard line for a first down to end the first quarter, 8-0, Hornets.

A nice run by Watson went for naught, as a yellow flag was thrown their way. A few plays later, Paden City’s Kyle Staton would recover a fumble to give the visitors excellent field position. Still would score on an eight-yard TD, but the two point conversion was no good and the hosts were still in front, 8-6, early in the second period of play.

The Hornets returned the short kick to their own 41 yard line after a nice open field tackle by Jamie Billiter. To start the drive, Watson completed a pass to Kuhn to take the ball to the Wildcat 37 yard line. But, a few plays later, Peyton Hinkley stepped in front of a Watson pass and raced 59 yards the other way for a 12-8 ‘Cats advantage. The two point conversion pass failed.

The Hornets Mhar Olayan hauled in the kick to midfield. The Wildcat defense swarmed the ball and twice stopped their hosts to minus yardage. But a late hit gave Hundred a new set of downs. The Paden City boys again held the hosts to minus yardage, but a face mask penalty gave Hundred new field position. After a time out, the ‘Cats got it together and forced Hundred to punt.

Paden City took over at its own 37 after the short punt. The Wildcat receivers dropped a pair of Bidwell passes and the ‘Cats punted to the Hornets again. The Wildcats held and forced the Hornets to punt. The Hornet snap was botched, but Thomas Preston picked it up and carried the slippery pigskin for a first at the ‘Cat 45 yard line.

The Paden City defense recovered and held the Hornet offense on downs and was ready to take it in. But, four straight penalties backed the ‘Cats up to their own 36 yard line and forced them to punt. And it got worse for Paden City: the snap sailed over the head of the punter and Watson recovered the ball for the Hornets at the Wildcat 19 yard line.

Hundred went for the kill right before the half, but Watson’s pass was dropped in the back of the end zone. With time about to run out, Hundred took the ball to the six yard line with seven seconds left in the half. However, Watson was intercepted in the end zone by Kyle McFadden on the final play of the half and the teams headed into the locker room with the ‘Cats up, 12-8.

Hornets got the ball at their own 30 to start the third quarter and sat on an eight play, 70-yard drive that culminated with a Kuhn-to-Watson pitch and catch from 11 yards out. The two point conversion was no good and the Hornets took a 14-12 lead.

Paden City got the ball at their own 33 and moved it down the field. But, on a fourth and short, PC was called on a holding penalty that disallowed the first down, and they had to punt.

Paden City faked the punt and the Hornets tackled the punter for a loss and took over at the ‘Cat 47. Hundred would be flagged two separate times for holding. After a Hinkley quarterback sack, the Hornets were back down to their own 29.

Then came one of the biggest plays of the game. On a third and long, Watson dropped back to pass and threw up a prayer, hoping one of his guys would catch it. Watson’s prayer was answered. Chris Shackleford jumped up between two ‘Cat defenders (who knocked each other down) and hauled in the lame-duck and raced 71 yards for the score. Watson connected with Kuhn on a shuttle pass for the two-point conversion that gave the hosts a 22-12 lead.

Late in the third, the ‘Cats fumbled and the Hornets took over around mid-field. Two runs by Watson had the Hornets inside the Wildcat 25 when the horn sounded. Paden City defense would stiffen and would hold Hundred on downs at the ‘Cat 15 yard line.

Hundred’s Brian Johnson intercepted a Wildcat pass, but the ball was quickly ripped out of his hands by Stanton at their own 25. Bidwell hooked up with Still near midfield, but White intercepted a pass and the Hornets took over at their own 49.

A few moments later, the Wildcat defense forced the Hornets to punt and would take over at their own 25 yard line. Hundred was guilty of pass interference, and, after a Bidwell pass completion, the ball was at the 46. However, a few plays later, the Hornets took over on downs at their own 33. The ‘Cats held, forcing the Hornets to punt and took over at their own 40.

The Hornets’ Shackleford stepped in front of a Wildcat pass and returned it 29 yards for a score. Stalnaker ran it in for the conversion for the final tally of the game.

Kuhn had 16 carries for 144 yards and a score to lead the Hornets, while scatback Chris Varner carried the ball 10 times for 42 yards. Preston rushed for 22 yards; Stalnaker had 13 yards; Watson rushed for nine yards; and White accumulated six yards. In the passing department, Watson was 4-15 for 112 yards and one score, while Kuhn completed one pass for a nine-yard TD . He also completed a two-point conversion pass.

Shackleford caught one pass for 79 yards and a score. Kuhn tallied 25 yards receiving, while Watson caught one for nine yards and a score.

Mhar and Jade Hains led the Hornets with eight tackles each, while Stalnaker and Varner each took down seven Wildcats. Shackleford had an interception that was returned for a TD and caused one fumble. White, Johnson, and Varner also had interceptions.

“We just found ways to beat ourselves,” said Paden City Head Coach Brent Croasmun. “We dropped passes and committed fouls in key drives. You just can’t beat a team by making these types of mistakes. We will regroup and get ready for Cameron Friday.”

Hundred Head Coach Rex Rush went on to add, “We moved the ball well at times but shot ourselves in the foot, too. But, overall, Shane stepped up and played his best game of the season and made the plays we had to make to get the win.”

For the Wildcats, Still had 85 yards on the ground and 61 yards receiving, while Bidwell converted 10 passes for 122 yards. Drew Bidwell caught four passes for 32 yards, while Stewart added 29 yards and Keith Hardbarger 10 yards.

Still led the ‘Cats with 12 tackles, eight of which were solo, and had a tackle for loss of yardage. Hinkley also added 12 tackles and added an interception and a tackle for loss of yardage.

Hundred moved the chains 14 times, while the Wildcats moved them 10 times. Paden City committed nine penalties for 75 lost yards, while Hundred was caught seven times, for 60 lost yards. The ‘Cats lost 3-5 fumbles, while the Hornets recovered both of their fumbles.

Paden City will entertain the Cameron Dragons on their Homecoming night Friday, Oct. 1, at 7:30 p.m. while the Hornets will host Bishop Donahue at 1 p.m. at their homecoming Oct. 2.