homepage logo

Eagle Booters Picking Up Steam

By Staff | Sep 22, 2010

A fluke goal sailed over the Eagles’ goal keeper Mike Winters’ out-stretched hands late in the second half, forcing a tie against Morgantown Trinity Sept. 7 at the Eagles Hydro Field.

Magnolia took an early lead when Michael “Dink” Jones blasted a goal past the Trinity Warrior’s keeper in the first half and were in control for the biggest part of the game until a late Trinity goal in the second half, for a 1-1 tie.

Winters held off numerous Warrior challenges in goal, making eight saves in the match. The Trinity keeper was just as effective, turning back 20 plus shots.


The Eagles traveled to East Liverpool Sept. 11 and scored an early goal by Jones with an assist by Evan Heslop. Again the Eagles’ offense, headed by Jones, Chase “Wiz” Cain, Ethan Arman, Heslop, and Saris “Just” Kongpichetkel pounded shot after shot, but just couldn’t punch it in.

However, the Potters in return took advantage of a nice save by Winters when they followed up the loose ball with a goal to knot the game at one apiece.

The Eagles had several chances to score in the closing minutes of play, but nice keeper saves by the Potters’ keeper kept the score at 1-1. Winters only had to make six saves for the Eagles, while the Toppers keeper swatted back 16.


Magnolia had a rematch with Trinity in Morgantown Sept. 13. Their exchange student “Just” Kongpichetkel found Morgantown to his liking and punched in two first half goals, while “Wiz” Cain found the back of the net on another to give the visiting Eagles a 3-1 victory.

The Eagles had only two chances in the opening half, while Winters weathered the storm quite well. Both Eagle chances came off a nice defensive effort that quickly resulted in two scoring chances and Jones was the recipient both times.

Trinity fought back and scored a goal, but the “Wiz” kid out-witted his defender and scored an insurance goal just in case. However, Winters would turn away the Warriors every time. He made save after save, while ending with 14 turn-aways.

Magnolia used a goal and an assist by “Just” Kongpichetkel and a goal by Michael Jones to beat St. Clairsville, 2-1 in high school soccer play at the Eagles Hydro Field Monday, Sept. 20.

Jones’s goal came early in the first half when Kongpichetkel placed a nice ball to him down the team’s sidelines and he blasted one by the out-stretched hands of the Red Devil goal keeper for the game’s first goal.

Most of the match was played on the Eagles’ side as the Red Devil offense was clicking on all cylinders. However, the Magnolia defense challenged every St. Clairsville shot, while the combination of Piekarski and Winters knocked away anything that came their way.

Midway into the second half, Magnolia took a 2-0 lead when Kongpichetkel took a pass from out of bounds from Chase Croasmun. “Just” high-stepped his way down field until he drilled a shot from 18 feet past the Red Devil keeper for a 2-0 lead.

With about seven minutes remaining, the Devils scored on a rebound off a corner kick to pull to within one point of Magnolia. However, the Eagles defensive unit of Seth Blake, Trevor Long, Croasmun, James Long, Michael Jones, Ethan Arman, and Jesse Long, along with Winters at goal, withstood the onslaught to get the win for Coach Jones.

The Eagles will host Monroe Central in their last home match of the season, Sept. 23 at 4:30 p.m.