×
×
homepage logo

Three MHS?Grads To Be Recognized At Banquet

By Staff | Jul 21, 2011

Robert “Bob” Warden

Three student-athletes from the decades of the 1950’s, 1960’s, and 1970’s will be recognized at the 26th  annual Magnolia Athletic Boosters Life Achievement Awards Banquet.

The event will be held on Aug. 6 at Magnolia High School and is open to the public. A social hour starts at 5 p.m., followed by dinner at 6 p.m. Tickets are available at Witschey’s in New Martinsville or from banquet chairman Brent Gamble at 304-455-3234.

The honorees, with graduation class and hometown, include Robert (Bob) Warden (1958) of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Richard (Rick) Blair (1963) of Boardman, Ohio; and Dale Hermeling (1979) of St. Louis, Mo.

Background on each of the honorees include:

WARDEN–At Magnolia, he was a four-year football and baseball player and also competed three seasons in basketball. In the summers, he served as senior lifeguard at Bruce Pool.

Richard “Rick” Blair

He attended Marietta College where he played football and baseball and graduated from West Liberty State in Marketing in 1964.

A member of the U.S. Army Reserves in New Martinsville, he worked for J. C. Penny Company in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Florida before joining Revlon, Inc., and Jordan Marsh in Fort Lauderdale. He retired in 2007 after several years as a teaching golf professional for PGA of America.

He was active in local organizations including Kiwanis, Faith Lutheran PTA, Riverland Village Civic Assoc., the Lauderdale Isles Yacht & Tennis Club, and the U.S. Golf Association-course ratings.

He also coached youth football, umpired little league baseball, and was a Cub Scouts den leader. Warden was a contributor and supporter of Faith Farm of Broward County, the United Way, Salvation Army, and a member of a Golf Advisory Committee for Broward Community College.

Married to the former Joyce Henslee, they are the parents of a son, Mike.

Dale Hermeling

BLAIR–He was a member of the first two varsity golf teams at Magnolia. Also, he was active with other sports while serving as team manager or statistician for football, basketball, and track.

Active in school organizations, he also was a two-year member of the National Honor Society and served as vice-president his senior year.

Blair graduated from Franklin & Marshall College plus the Ohio Northern University College of Law and has extensive continuing education in Mediation and the judicial system.

From 1970-2003, he worked for the Youngstown law firm of Roth, Blair, Roberts, Strasfield & Lodge and is a current counsel. Since 2003, he’s mediated over 3,000 cases as Mahoning County Common Pleas Court Mediator. In 2004, he was selected Lawyer of the Year by the Mahoning County Bar Association.

A member of several law-based organizations, he’s also active in community and church activities. He was co-chairman of the Board of Directors of the Greater Youngstown Coalition of Christians and former trustee member of the Board of Education of Eagle Heights Academy, a charter school.

He served as president of Warriors, Inc., which was formed to promote racial and denominational reconciliation in Youngstown.

He and wife Ellen have four children–Heather Campbell, Heidi Krull, Richard Blair II, and Molly Szari, and seven grandchildren.

HERMELING–At Magnolia, he was a four-year football standout lineman and heavyweight wrestler. He was a co-captain of the 8-3 record 1978 football team and earned All-Valley mention.

Active in school organizations, he was a senior president of both the Young Men’s Union and National Honor Society and a four-year contributor, including senior editor, of the Eagle Eye school newspaper.

He graduated, with a degree in history, from Princeton University, where he also played football. He also was a member of the Officer University Cottage Club, Undergraduate Student Government representative, and Class of ’83 Steering Committee.

He received a law degree from St. Louis University, where he also was a member of the Moot Court Regional Team and Moot Court Board Chairman.

He remained in St. Louis, working for Greensfelder, Hemker & Gale from 1986-93 before joining his current firm, The Stolar Partnership. He has been recognized as a Best Lawyer in America and Best Lawyers in St. Louis.

Active in community, youth, and charitable organizations, Hermeling has been involved with St. Louis Christmas in April, Project Angel Tree, Cystic Fibrosis, St. Louis Sports Commission, University City Historic Preservation Commission, etc.

He and wife Carrie have three children–Kate, Claire, and David.