Area Honors Veterans
The Wetzel County Farm Bureau is planning its third annual dinner for veterans, to be held Nov. 18, 2:30 p.m. at the Sportsman’s Club.
The dinner is just one of many activities the farm bureau has planned in support of veterans that day, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. A special trail ride is slated for 10:30 a.m. Registration for this event will take place at 10 a.m. A one-mile walk will then take place at 11 a.m. Country and bluegrass music and other activities will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the club. Those participating in activities such as the ride, walk, or dinner, are asked to please RSVP by calling Robyn Yeager at 304-386-4567, or Facebook message Kim Shatney.
Several special guests will be speaking at the dinner, including USMC Sgt. Kevin Siers, USMC Ret. Lt. Col. and West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture Kent Leonhardt, US Army SFC Ret. Kim Shatney, and US Army Specialist Robert Yeager.
Notably, the Wetzel County Farm Bureau is also sponsoring a Veterans Day essay contest for Valley High School students. The award-winning essay writer will receive $100. Second place writer will receive $75, and third place writer will receive $50. The top three essays will also be featured in an upcoming edition of the Wetzel Chronicle.
Other events, in honor of Veterans Day, are as follows:
* Paden City High School will have a Veterans Day program at 10 a.m., Nov. 9. A brunch will be held for veterans at 9:30 a.m.
* Hundred High School will be honoring veterans during an assembly on Nov. 9, 9 a.m.
* Short Line School will be honoring veterans during an assembly on Nov. 9, 9 a.m.
* Paden City Elementary School will hold its Veterans Day lunch and program today.
* Long Drain School will hold its annual Veterans Day program in the Long Drain School gymnasium on Nov. 9, 1 p.m. The program will feature a slideshow presentation and music.
* New Martinsville School is privileged to invite all area Veterans, active duty military and reservists to an assembly in your honor on Thursday, Nov. 9 at 1 p.m. in the main gym of NMS. Free refreshments will be provided.
* Magnolia High School will hold its Veterans Day program Nov. 9, 1:30 p.m.
* The American Legion Post #28 will be involved in a Veterans Day program at Genesis Healthcare Center, in New Martinsville. The program will be held at 10:30 a.m.
* American Legion Auxiliary Unit #81 Pine Grove is hosting a ham, soup beans, and cornbread lunch on Nov. 11 at the Byrd Center in Pine Grove. Event will be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Free to Veterans families. Take-out will be available.
* Low Gap Church, located six miles east of Wileyville, is having a Veterans Day service on Nov. 12. A flag raising will be held at 6 p.m., followed by special singers, singing patriotic songs. All veterans will be honored, and everyone is welcome.
* The First Baptist Church at Fourth and Leap Street in New Martinsville will honor Veterans on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 9:30 a.m. The choir will present the Cantata “In God We Trust” and veterans will be recognized. Everyone is welcome.