×
×
homepage logo

Hundred High School Implements New Schedule

By Staff | Sep 29, 2015

One of the biggest changes for Hundred High School for the 2015-2016 school year has involved a new schedule.

HHS Prinicpal Daniel Gottron explained the new system at the Wetzel County Board of Education meeting held Sept. 21. The meeting was held at Long Drain School due to annual Local School Improvement Council reports given by HHS and LDS.

Principal Gottron said that previously Hundred High School operated on an eight period day. The school would have class periods one through four and then stop for lunch. This year, HHS has a “continual flowing day.”

While some HHS students are at lunch, some are at class. Instead of an eight period day, students now have a nine period day. Every student has the first four class periods together. Then, some students report to a fifth period class, while others go to lunch. A second lunch is later held for those who went to class during the first lunch.

Hundred High School also offers a “grab and go lunch” to those who might want to pick up an extra class. Gottron said this method of lunch is beneficial for “highly motivated and high achievement students,” and it is also beneficial for those students “needing to take up a class or credit.”

Gottron said with the expanded schedule and with the board’s support to expand Hundred’s staff, the school has added several courses, including Advanced Placement Human Geography, AP United States History, Advanced Math Modeling, Hundred Ink, Physics, Theatre, College 101, and Flex Blocks.

Flex Blocks are short elective classes prior to lunch. Flex Blocks include courses in outdoor education, school newspaper, FFA competition, robotics, strategic games, small ensemble, and fitness and nutrition.

Gottron said a new scheduling system left 15 minutes “to play with” for those who take a lunch period. Flex Blocks are worth a quarter credit.

HHS Instructor Jeremy Kelch then spoke to the board about the Outdoor Flex Block, as well as his hopes to one day have an Outdoor Competition at HHS, which would involve other Wetzel County Schools and other out-of-county schools.

The outdoor competition would include a point system. The school with the highest number of points would be awarded a large trophy, which would travel to the winning school each year. Kelch said his ultimate goal is to see the competition make it statewide.

“I know you’ve been supportive in the past with the Sportsman’s Club’s trout trip. Hopefully with your guys’ approval, we can get this accomplished and bring something to Wetzel County Schools and Hundred that nobody else has. I want us to be the pilot school for something that would be good for the county and school.”

Gottron said Kelch’s idea would be on the agenda for the board’s next meeting.

“I wanted him to share his idea this evening, because his Flex Block is what I see all of the other Flex Blocks becoming, an opportunity for students to take ownership and connect academic standards to these Flex events.”

In terms of the Smarter Balanced assessment, HHS’s ninth graders were 36 percent proficient in Literacy, compared to a 31 percent Literacy proficiency for Wetzel County, and 38 percent Literacy proficiency statewide.

For 10th graders, Hundred High School scored at 40 percent proficiency, compared to 35 percent proficiency for Wetzel County and 43 percent proficiency for West Virginia’s 10th graders.

For 11th graders, Hundred HHS scored at 46 percent proficiency in literacy, compared to 49 percent proficiency in Wetzel County, and 47 percent proficiency in literacy at a statewide level.

For mathematics, HHS 9th graders scored at 4 percent proficiency, while overall, Wetzel County 9th graders scored at 9 percent proficiency, and the state’s 9th graders overall had an 18 percent proficiency.

Tenth grade HHS students ranked at three percent proficiency in mathematics, short of the county’s average, which stood at seven percent. West Virginia ranked at 15 percent.

Eleventh grade HHS students scored at 17 percent proficiency in mathematics, while Wetzel County scored 18 percent proficiency. West Virginia’s 11th graders overall scored at 20 percent proficiency.

Grade 10 students, tested in science, matched the county overall with 30 percent proficiency. The state’s 10th graders scored at 35 percent proficiency.