Church Celebrates 125 Years
New Martinsville’s First Christian Church Disciples of Christ engaged in a weekend of celebration Sept. 26-27, in honor of its 125 years.
On Saturday, Sept. 26, events began at noon with a lunch, followed by opening comments and a tour of facilities. At 5:30 p.m., a banquet was held in the fellowship hall, followed by remarks by Rev. David Chafin and a music celebration.
First Christian Church was established in 1890. Its first building was in the Brooklyn section of New Martinsville. By 1902, the church had grown so much. A new wing was added and a balcony was built. The church met in this building until 1939, when the first phase of the present church building was completed. The planning for the building was begun in 1919 and the present location was purchased in 1920. The sanctuary was completed in 1949. In 1986 a new addition was completed, consisting of offices, choir room, boadr room, parlor, and the installation of the elvator. A new pipe organ was installed and the chancel area renovated in 1998. In 2008 the property next door was purchased for expanding ministry in the community and The Disciples Center for Human Wholeness was founded.
Twenty-one pastors have served the church along with countless elders, deacons, board members, Sunday school teachers, lay leaders, and ministers, youth, choir directors and members, and musicians through its 13 decades of Christian witness.
At the celebration banquet, Hunter spoke of how Jesus ate with everyone and that Jesus is seated at the table with his followers on just about every page of the gospel.
Hunter said Saturday’s special meal marked “6,500 celebrations of communion and common meals.”
After the banquet, Rev. David Chafin gave remarks on the celebration in the church’s sanctuary. The church’s choir, children’s choir, and praise team all participated in a musical program after Chafin’s remarks.