×
×
homepage logo

Dog Saves Family, Fire Destroys Home

By Staff | Dec 3, 2014

The Lowe home in Reader is a complete loss after a fire on Nov. 26. It appears to have started in the kitchen. (Photo by Keith Nelsen)

A dog might be the one to credit for having saved its family whose home caught fire last week in Reader.

Lori Lowe states that her oldest son was home alone Nov. 26 and woke up on the couch to the family dog, Sasha, in his face. “The house was full of smoke and he could see flames in the kitchen,” Lowe states. “He ran to the neighbors’ house.”

“We lost everything,” Lowe noted. However, Lowe maintains an attitude of optimism and gratefulness, despite the tragedy.

“The community, along with our work places, have really amazed and touched us with their generosity. I just can’t believe the outpouring of help we’re being blessed with,” Lowe states, adding that the family definitely has plenty of clothes to sort through at the moment, but is starting to look into replenishing their household items.

Jacksonburg Fire Department and Reader Methodist Church are both currently drop-off spots for donations, and monetary donations can also be left at Simon’s Market in Pine Grove. Also, the family can still receive mail at HC 60 Box 116, Reader.

“We want to thank everyone for their generosity, thoughts, and prayers,” Lowe states. “We appreciate it more than anyone will ever know.”

Don Barker of the Reader Volunteer Fire Department states that the fire, which occurred around 9:30 a.m., appears to have started in the kitchen. Reader VFD, New Martinsville VFD, and Pine Grove VFD all responded.

Lowe states that her oldest boy did breathe in a lot of smoke and the inside of his nose was black. However, she is grateful that he had fallen back to sleep on the couch that morning, instead of his bedroom, which is located near the kitchen.

Interestingly enough, Sasha was rescued by the family she just rescued. Lowe stated that her 10-year-old Pit/Shepherd mix was found dropped off along the road at approximately five weeks of age with a cut “that someone had sewn up themselves with needle and thread.”