homepage logo

Judge Reduces Sentence

By Staff | May 22, 2013

Tonya McIver, 38, of Rt. 1, Box 356B, New Martinsville, was released from jail May 17, after completing the recommended 90 days of her sentence.

Special Prosecuting Attorney Carl “Worthy” Paul stated that he had nothing to put on the record in regards to McIver’s request for release. Defense Attorney J.K. Chase stated that McIver’s sentence was up on May 11.

Judge Mark A. Karl stated he would follow the plea agreement, which further stated that upon her release from prison, McIver would be placed on two years of supervised probation. “I’m going to have the rules read into the record. Before you leave today, see (Chief Probation Officer) John Lantz.”

Paul stated that McIver needed to be reminded that she needed to register with the child abuse and neglect registry.

“Trot down and do that today,” Karl noted. “You do not want to see me again.”

McIver pleaded guilty Feb. 6 in Wetzel County Circuit Court to one count of parent authorizing sexual abuse of a child.

This case intertwines with the case involving Charles Scott Moore. Moore, 27, of 187 North State Route 2 Apt. B203, New Martinsville. He pleaded guilty Dec. 17 in Wetzel County Circuit Court to counts one and three of his 10-count indictment. Count one states that on or about Nov. 25, 2011, Moore committed the felony offense of sexual assault in the third degree, also known as statutory rape. Count three states that he committed the same offense on Dec. 10, 2011.

Moore’s indictment had stated that the victim was less than 16 years old at the time the offenses occurred. Moore would have been 26.

For each crime, Moore was sentenced to one to five years in the West Virginia State Penitentiary for Men. These two sentences will run concurrently. After his release, Moore must register as a sex offender and will be on supervised release for five additional years.

In another matter, Skilar B. Campbell was sentenced to one to five years in the West Virginia Penitentiary for Men after he failed to appear in court for sentencing on Dec. 1, 2011. Campbell was recently found in Belmont County.

On Nov. 7, 2011, Campbell pleaded guilty to one count of the felony offense of conspiracy to commit breaking and entering. The recommendation from the state was for Campbell to serve one to five years in the West Virginia Penitentiary for Men with credit for 68 days served. Furthermore, it was recommended he be sentenced as a youthful offender and as such be placed in the Anthony Center for Youthful Offenders. Upon successful completion of the program at the center, Campbell would then have been placed under two years supervised probation.

“Mr. Campbell is no longer eligible for a position with the Anthony Center, and basically, we have an agreed disposition in this case that Mr. Campbell needs to be sentenced to not less than one, nor more than five years, with credit for all time served . . . We’ll give him credit for time in Ohio.” Haught referenced that Campbell had spent a brief amount of time incarcerated prior to extradition. Campbell’s attorney, Roger Weese, agreed.