homepage logo

Officers Assist In Catching McGill

By Staff | Nov 3, 2010

Michael McGill

Three members of the Wetzel County Sheriff’s Office Special Response Team were among the more than 50 officers from departments across the Ohio Valley who captured a Marshall County man who escaped home confinement last month.

The Marshall County Sheriff’s Department, working with U.S. Marshals and officers from other local detachments, apprehended Michael McGill, 49, on Sunday at a camp site on Fish Creek. McGill was being sought by authorities after breaking his home confinement monitor in October and escaping.

McGill was charged in 2009 with one count of malicious assault for the alleged beating of Michael Yoho, 52, and one count of third-offense domestic battery on his cousin, Sheila McGill. The alleged incidents occurred at a camp on Fish Creek in a remote area of Marshall County.

Yoho was found dead June 14, 2009, more than a day after the alleged attack, following an apparent all-terrain vehicle crash. Marshall County sheriff’s investigators believe Yoho was brutally beaten by McGill at the camp and managed to drive away, only to wreck and die a short time later. The West Virginia Medical Examiner’s Office determined Yoho’s death to be a result of “compression asphyxia” and not directly from a beating.

On Aug. 27, attorney Robert McCoid had asked Judge Mark Karl for McGill’s home confinement to be changed from his father’s home on Arlington Avenue in Moundsville to a camp McGill owns on Fish Creek in Marshall County. McCoid told the court, due to family issues at the Arlington Avenue address, McGill would no longer be able to live there.

In February, after McGill had been housed in the Northern Regional Jail for nearly eight months, McCoid asked Karl to lower McGill’s bond so he could live with his father, who was in poor health, and possibly find gainful employment. Karl granted that motion, lowered McGill’s bond to $15,000 and ordered he be released and placed on house arrest.

Under the conditions of the house arrest, Karl also ordered McGill to wear an alcohol-monitoring bracelet and have no contact with potential witnesses in the case. Karl also granted McGill’s request to leave the property, under the supervision of the Marshall County Sheriff’s Department, if he was able to find work.

Officers responded to the Arlington Avenue residence on Oct. 25, the day the case was set for trial, after the Moundsville Police Department was notified McGill’s wife, Rebecca, had not reported to work over the weekend. Upon arriving, they discovered McGill’s broken ankle monitoring bracelet. The Marshall County Prosecutor’s Office obtained a warrant for his arrest on the grounds of violation of home confinement, while the sheriff’s department obtained a warrant for escape from home confinement, which is a felony.

According to Marshall County Chief Deputy Kevin Cecil, his department began receiving tips last week that McGill had been spotted at a camp in the North Fork area of Fish Creek. In September, McGill was denied a request to move his home confinement to his camp at the site by Marshall County Circuit Judge Mark Karl.

“We knew he frequented the camp, and we were checking it frequently,” Cecil said. “However, we still believe he was not there until late last week.”

On Thursday, Rebecca McGill was spotted in Marshall County and questioned by U.S. Marshals, though she offered no new information.

On Sunday, officers on the ground, as well as an aerial unit, surrounded the perimeter of the area on Fish Creek. After spotting and approaching McGill, a small struggle ensued, forcing officers to use a Taser.

However, Cecil said the plan he and other law enforcement officers had laid out worked smoothly.

“It was a very labor intensive operation, and the vast area surrounding the numerous camp sites made the planning very crucial,” he said.

McGill was taken into custody and was lodged in the West Virginia Northern Regional Jail, where he is being held in lieu of $100,000 bond. Cecil said the investigation into the incident is ongoing as authorities attempt to determine if Rebecca McGill played any part in the escape.

Cecil said it had yet to be determined whether she had helped Michael McGill escape or if she had been taken against her will.

WCSO Chief Deputy Rob Haught, Deputy Eric Daugherty, and Tyler County Sheriff’s Office Deputy J. Maston, all also members of the Mountain State Fugitive Task Force, were the local officers involved.