Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Latest Post:
Started By:
Rank:
Category
277 days ago.
by BlueRanger
Pandora
#1

Thoughts on Home Schooling

What is everyones thoughts on home Schooling? with help of tutors or without.

Member Comments

BlueRanger

I know this is a VERY LATE comment. We homeschooled our children from 1st thru 12th. I think some of the questions needing answered can be found in these 2 books by Rick Boyer, "The Socialization Trap" and "Home Educating With Confidence." H.S.L.D.A. can also enlighten those curious/interested about home schooling. I'm in my 25th year of state L.E., I've never had a troubled encounter with a homeschooled child or parent. Hope the books and website will help.

Posted 277 days ago.

FormerWildcat

Kids are allowed to participate in social functions, sports and classes of their choosing at a public school and still be home schooled. That social stigma was created by people that didn't want the public system to dry up.

Posted 427 days ago.

NotEvenClose

The title (and first sentence) of the post was asking for "thoughts on home schooling." Whether there is a direct effect on your kids from home schooling or not, it appears that they will at least some some social stigma.

I also wish that wasn't true, but the only way to hide from reality is to become a politician.

Posted 429 days ago.

MyThoughtsOnThisSubject

I wasn't judging you or anyone,Pandora. I thought you were asking for opinions -- and I was giving you mine.

I have a friend that homeschools. I admire her for the extreme she goes to to see that they meet & exceed standards.

Posted 431 days ago.

Pandora

wow waaaaaay ahead of you about a year ago. everyone seems to be so worried about screwing up home schooling but does not see the problems in the public schools and the parents who don't even know how their kids are even doing in public school. ive talked to some kids that say their parents are so busy that they never ask whats going on in class or with friends. fight all you want about home schooling, but you really need to do the research to back up any claims on how messed up I will make my kids by doing this. ever think to just think before you leap? I do, and that's why im home schooling my kids with help of tutors and yes they will have the same social activity as public school. its called education first, then social activities at the proper time. I got my stuff in gear. judge as you want. It only makes me more confident my kids will be better and do better away from public schools.

Posted 431 days ago.

MyThoughtsOnThisSubject

For your child(ren)'s sake you'll need to be committed, very well organized, disciplined, prepared well in advance, and know that you will be assuming the additional financial burden of school supplies, meals (in some instances provided free for children at public school), gas for field trips, to purchase supplies, etc. Lastly, should you or a child become ill or have a medical emergency, who will effectively step in for you so the other child(ren) doesn't suffer and fall behind?

Things to consider.

Posted 431 days ago.

Pandora

Indeed I will :)

Posted 433 days ago.

fromafar

You 2 go ahead and home school your kids, see how that works out for ya.

Posted 433 days ago.

FormerWildcat

Well said Pandora. I think the stigma of social issues was started to keep parents from home schooling. Good parenting and environment will dictate if a child is getting good social skills.

Posted 434 days ago.

Pandora

I have seen some of the public school children when waiting for my child after school, I think less social time with them may boost my kids IQs. WOW so many bullies in this town kids and adults. Social awkward if home schooled? I don't think so, kids can still have same friends and social time outside of school and home school. besides why are they allowed to chat so much while learning? (besides while learning that is) and the phones and devices these kids are coming out chatting on don't look very social or educational. facebook and twitter isn't social people, what happen to just face to face talks and meeting up at each others houses to play or chat after school?

Posted 436 days ago.

fromafar

Unless you want your kids to be weird and socially awkward don't do it

Posted 462 days ago.

NotEvenClose

It seems that bullying is a part of the reality of life also. I wish it wasn't, but it is. When your kids go off into the workforce, they will undoubtedly encounter someone that is so insecure they feel the need to torture someone else. My personal opinion is that kids who have parents that care (as much as you appear to) and stay involved, have the greatest chance of surviving the reality of life.

Posted 462 days ago.

Pandora

good point, tutors definitely a must, but social is another thing, I believe your kids can be equally socially active and in sports or hang with other children their age in home schooling too. there is a lot of bullying in this county as with others in this country I think play in a huge role also. I think sometimes when done properly home schooling can be more learning then public schools. I have three kids and I haven't seen them take a educational field trip yet. also I think education at public schools are limited. I for one teach my kids many things at home (they are in public school)like evolution that is important to learning the reality of life. but im not fighting to get that in school or anything of the sort but I feel its extremely important

Posted 464 days ago.

NotEvenClose

I think it is the same as plumbing; if you know what you are doing, great! If you don't, call a professional. The kids lose some of the social growth already, you don't want to take away the book learning too.

Posted 464 days ago.